Monday, January 4, 2010

Feliz Navidad, Feliz Año Nuevo y mucho mas...

Hey everyone! The last little while has been pretty busy and I´ve had a lot on my mind. Now things have quieted down and it´s time to let you in on a few things.

Christmas: Last year´s Christmas was spent in Haiti where we were given $4 to spend on a present for the gift exchange, where there was no snow, and where we did a Christmas program for a bunch of Haitian orphans. This year I spent Christmas in Ecuador where I got a few more presents than last year (a cool scarf, earrings and a bunch of pens for example), where there is no snow (except on the mountain tops), and where I worked with orphans the whole day. It was great because there was a huge donation of toys for the kids just before Christmas, including Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers dolls, Prince Caspian action figures, Nascars, and Pokemon stuffed animals. Also, we had crepes for breakfast with a good turkey dinner... Mmmm. Christmas Eve is when we finished picking the toys out and filling stockings!

The next day I went to Jessica´s where I had another amazing turkey dinner and the best mocha pie ever!

At street church we have a new member that I´d like to mention. His name is Bienvenido (meaning welcome) and he came to Christ recently. He used to rob people for a living and apparently the tattoo of 3 tear drops on his face represent the 3 people he killed. I think it´s so cool how the Christian youth here are preaching to gang members and thieves.

On New Year´s Eve I had quite the cultural experience. In the afternoon we made a doll (dressed like a skateboarder) and a gigantic light bulb for our Año Viejo celebration. At night in the Ark we had a huge bonfire where we burned the light bulb, symbolizing the burning of the old (having the power or ´luz´ turned off all the time). We also had fireworks that Jessica´s dad brought over. Then a bunch of us went downtown to walk the streets and burn our own ´viejo´(the doll). The streets were filled with cars and men dressed like women (called crazy widows) pestering the people driving be. At 12:00 there were lots of fireworks and smoke everywhere from people burning their own dolls.

This Saturday I ended up moving out from the Ark. Right now I´m living with the English school´s director and her family. I´m waiting until the apartment above the English school is free and then I´ll move there. It´s right downtown and I´ll be able to experience living on my own for the first time. On Sunday the family took me out to lunch to try rabbit. I was scared at first, but it´s actually really good. They also serve guinea pig there, but I have yet to try it. Then we ended up going to Baños: a major tourist city where there´s a lot of extreme sports and pretty waterfalls. We also went to this place where you can fill your water bottle with ´blessed´or ´holy´water. I thought it tasted funny (like Guitig: a type of water they sell here that´s carbonated), but I was super thirsty so I drank lots! haha.

The night before at the radio Danilu interviewed me on their radio program they have on the weekends from 6:00 to 8:00. I made Naomi translate though cuz I was scared enough as it was!

I also want to add that I applied to go to this Children At Risk school they have in Bogota, Colombia in March for 4 months. It´s with YWAM and seems really relevant to what I´m doing and hope to do in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment