Friday, September 10, 2010

Life in Riobamba

Hi again. I hope you guys are all doing well.

This last week has been quite a blessing. I have been able to do more and enjoy my time here in Ecuador. To start off Debora and I have been able to bring some sort of food to the people in the little jail. This last time we went there was a whole bunch of people standing outside and one lady asked me who I knew that was in the jail. I told her no one and that we were just bringing bread for everyone. I think that kind of surprised her...

We also went to the Ark Children´s Home 2 days to volunteer. The first day we helped with babies and toddlers because there was a no show. The second day I was able to help with Christmas presents... pretty much we just sorted through old donations to see which were fit for giving. It was nice to be back there and I can´t wait for February when the family (the Allans) that run the orphanage will be in my city (Kelowna) so I can visit them there.

We had a prayer meeting on Wednesday night and were able to offer our house again. We´re learning more and more about hospitality in a Latino culture, which I believe is preparation for the future. It´s a lot more formal than I´m used to and you are expected to serve people the food or drink. There´s no buffets or helping yourself. The host serves the plates, hands around the dish of chips and makes the coffee for their guests. Compared to me and my friends this is a big step! Only my friends back home feel comfortable enough to go into my fridge and dig around for something to eat or cut themselves a piece of cake without asking! haha.

I also have been blessed with the opportunity to learn Haitian Creole. I´ve been praying for this for a long time and my prayer has been answered. Ever since my trip to Haiti in 2008 I´ve had a passion for learning Creole (a mix of French and African) and have hoped to go back. I randomly met a Haitian French professor that works at a university here at a restuarant that was willing to teach me Creole. I had one lesson already and loved it. It´s hard to find resources to learn this language and especially anyone who knows it and is a language professor (unless you´re in Haiti!).

Well, until next time. God bless and may His peace be with you. Chao.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, that cake was delicious! I've been thinking about you lots lately, and am so happy to hear that you're enjoying your time. It sounds like your learning and discovering lots. I'll see you soon! November's not far away :) tqm

    ReplyDelete