Wednesday, June 23, 2010

ACJ - YMCA

Hola a todos. Como estan?

I want to start off with a confession... I'm an 'arepa' addict! These corn tortillas are common in Colombia and Venezuela. The ones with cheese are the best and when they are hot and goey they are to die for! I'm almost always willing to pay the 50 cents for an arepa when I see them on the grill as I walk down the street. Anyways, next topic... my mouth is watering.

The last few weeks I've been helping out a lot in the mini library they have at the YMCA. We've been sorting through, recycling and categorizing a ton of books. Today we finally finished! The kids use the library (mostly the encyclopedias) for their homework. I've also been in the office lately, filing documents in the children's folders.

Today was the 4th time I went to 'Centro de Escucha' (where we meet with homeless people). Usually I just help hand out the crackers and 'agua panela' (a hot drink made of honey and water) and talk. There usually is a workshop too of painting or drawing. In 2 weeks it's the one year anniversary of 'Centro de Escucha' and there's going to be a big celebration with food, drinks, presentations and some free services (like hair cuts, etc).

I also got to go on a mini tour with one of the social workers. She showed me the Club Piscina a few blocks from the YMCA. The 'Piscina' is a famous brothel in Bogota and is more expensive than the prostitutes you see on the street. Apparently, if the people there notice a car driving by more than once they will start to throw rocks at the car!

A couple days ago I had the priviledge of hearing one of the volunteer's testimony. The lady's name is Soraida. I've been working with her a lot in the library, with the little kids and in the sewing room. One day as we were sewing together I decided it'd be a good time to ask her some questions. Apparently, she used to be a substance-abusing prositute that would beat her kids. She lived in a brothel with her children. I'm not exactly sure why, but one day she took her kids to the YMCA. That happened about 2 years ago and now she's a Christian, doesn't do drugs, and sews and crochets purses for a living. She still has the fear of going back to drugs and her eldest daughter is in a bad situtation, but she is pushing forward. I asked her about her childhood and it explained a lot. She was abandoned by her parents at a really young age and left with her grandparents. Her grandparents, uncle, etc would beat her as well. To be honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was sexually abused too.

However, God has changed her! I love seeing her work so hard and yet trust in God. Her life really is a testimony to God's love and power.

I hope you enjoyed another episode of 'the Life of Anna!'

No comments:

Post a Comment